Monpazier (24 Dordogne, Nouvelle Aquitaine) is a wonderful old bastide town, which holds a Medieval Festival (Médiévale de Monpazier)
27 – 28 July 2019.
Situated between Bergerac and Cahors the village is one of the Plus Beaux Villages de France (most beautiful french villages), with impressive arcades and arches.Monpazier is labelled a “Grand site national“, it has no less than 32 listed buildings and is regarded as the prime example of a “bastide” among the 300 in South-western France. Monpazier has had countless awards to salute, but also to protect, the outstanding heritage of this fortified village that was founded by Edward I of England in 1284.
For more info see www.pays-de-bergerac.com
For more info and to check availabilty at this Bastide Hotel see Hotel Edward I
Now available: The Official Guide to the Most Beautiful Villages of France
If the southwest of France now has more than 300 bastide, Monpazier is a masterpiece of architecture and Urbanism, which earned Monpazier to be regularly considered by great architects, including Le Corbusier, as the ideal model of Bastide.
The presence of Monpazier as a member of the remarkable sites and cities of France, its ranking among the Most beautiful villages in France, the Flower Villages (1st Flower), testify to a permanent concern to value the existing heritage and its environment. Monpazier is rich in an exceptional economic fabric for a commune of 534 inhabitants: More than 70 traders, craftsmen and crafts are welcome to you every day of the year.
- Bastide of Crafts: Monpazier became the city of Art crafts.
More than 22 artists and artisans of art are installed in Monpazier. Their workshops, open to the public (most of the year), are an opportunity to discover a different art and to meet creators who exercise their talent with passion.
- Festive and cultural Bastide: Its numerous animations throughout the year punctuate the life of this most beautiful village of France: Medieval animations, festival of the book, Concerts, theatre …
- Bastide Gourmande: All local products of Périgord (foie-gras, fillets, conﬁts, wines …) are present at Monpazier, to buy or to consume on the spot:
-in the many shops and restaurants of the commune,
-During the weekly market every Thursday morning,
– At the CEPs Market under the Hall on the square of the angles (open every day during the growing season),
– In the truffle market (in winter).
- Bastide Nature: The natural spaces surrounding monpazier (its forests, with more than 200 of signposted hiking trails) allow beautiful walks in a beautiful setting. (www.perigord.com)