Although we tend to class them as “Loire” wines, some of the key wines of the region are classified as “Vins de Centre- Loire” as they come from communes in the Centre administrative region, although they are clearly in the valley of the Loire River which dominates the region:-
- Coteaux du Giennois
For white wines it is the Sauvignon Blanc grape which excels in these appellations, and usually produces superb dry, minerally wines. I particularly like Reuilly and Quincy where the wines are often as good as Sancerre but at a more affordable price!
Pinot Noir is used for the small quantity of red wine produces (not in all appellations).
There are numerous wine fairs when you can get to taste and buy the wines at vineyard gate prices:
- Châteaumeillant Wine Fair 20 – 22 April 2019
- Reuilly Wine Fair 20 – 22 April 2019
- Sancerre Wine Fair 8 – 9 June 2019
- Bonny sur Loire wine fair – 28 July 2019
- Menetou-Salon 60th Anniversary 3 – 4 August 2019
For more info see www.vins-centre-loire.com